Saturday, June 13, 2009

The week in review...

Hello, all you (probably 2 or something) readers!

Sunday evening I went to a reading at the theatre. One of the writers in the writing group had finished a draft and we all gathered around listening and gave feedback afterward. I went with another intern, and we got to give our feedback as well. The play was about civil rights, racism, and segregation in the 1960's. The premise was that a white man accidentally shot a black teenager after he was taken by his mother to the all-white hospital. The young black boy's girlfriend was then pregnant, as was the white man's wife. The white man dealt with the guilt, but no legal repercussions, and sought out forgiveness from the boy's family, which was never received. It dealt with some supernatural things, as well! It was a good play, and it needed a little work, but it was awesome to be able to sit in and see that environment, especially since I am actually writing a play myself presently. I'm going to another reading tomorrow evening after I go help with one of the booths at Gay Pride! The reading is for a musical about farting written by the artistic director of InterAct, Seth Rozin. It should be pretty fun and interesting!

Monday was my day in the office, and I did general interny things like stuff envelopes, mail letters, print things, cut things, and got to exercise my efficiency freak ways by developing a system for everything I was doing. That was about it for Monday. I also met with Becky about my ideas for what I was writing. I almost felt guilty for exploiting my position as an intern to get special help on my play. Almost.

Tuesday we finally got to pick which plays we were doing our casebooks for. I am going to be researching the play called City of Numbers by Sean Christopher Lewis. I'm sure I've talked a little bit about it before, but it's about the Philadelphia Mural Arts program and all of the community perspectives on it and the crime in Philadelphia. I'll be doing research on that as well as hopefully being in pretty close contact with the playwright during the summer. All of the interns got the play they wanted, so I thought it was very cool that we all had something different we wanted.

Other than that, we all got to discuss next season's plays with each other and with Becky. It was interesting to be in that kind of environment. I didn't feel as though any of my ideas or opinions were off the wall, and they were respected and taken into consideration by everyone. Everyone had very good thoughts to contribute to the discussion and came prepared. After that, we went to a marketing meeting to discuss the groups that each of the plays would be primarily targeted at next season. That was an interesting meeting to sit in on. I feel very privileged to be able to sit in on all of these things and contribute and be taken seriously and have my ideas taken into consideration even though I am just an intern.

That's all for now. Tomorrow I will be at Penn's Landing (!) at a Gay Pride booth all afternoon. I foresee awesomeness. And I might be able to talk about musical farting at length, but we'll see about that.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment